Bricklaying Level 1
Start Date: 2nd September 2024
More about the course
Bricklaying is one of the most traditional trades in the UK and around the world. Those studying the course will learn a variety of skills to enable them to build, repair and maintain the country's housing stock. This course is for school leavers aged 16-18 and for adults aged 19+ who are interested in a career in Bricklaying.
Our qualifications are aimed at people wishing to learn skills in Bricklaying, to progress onto become skilled in the trade, or to progress through to an Apprenticeship and work towards becoming a master craftsman.
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 2-9, including English and/or Maths
What will I achieve?
If you successfully complete this course, you will receive a Level 1 qualification in Bricklaying, a Level 1 or 2 in Functional Skills or a GCSE in Maths and English.
What will I learn?
- Health, safety and welfare in construction
- Principles of building construction, information and communication
- Carry out bricklaying activities
- Carry out block laying activities
- Carry out cavity walling activities
- Contribute to setting out and building of masonry structures up to damp proof course
What experience will I have?
- CSCS card for employment
- Live Projects, such as Build A House
- Community projects
- Industry experts who are passionate about their subject area
- Work experience with local and regional employers such as Stackright, Keir and Keepmoat
- Trips to industry and trade shows
- Skills competitions, including World Skills UK
- Links with employers, such as Croftland Building and McCrory Brickwork Ltd
- Progression to Apprenticeships
How will I be assessed?
- Assessment is an online core unit examination
- Awarding body phase test
- Portfolio of knowledge
Where can I progress?
Upon successful completion of the course, including Functional Skills, students will be granted direct access onto the Level 2 Bricklaying course.
If you are 16-18 years old, you do not have to pay course tuition fees*
If you are 19 or over, please speak with our Learner Services team to confirm the fee for this course. Course costs may be subject to change.
If you need information on any financial support that may be available to you with fees or study costs on this course, please contact Student Services who can offer advice and assistance on accessing any financial support that may be available.
*Exam and registration fees will be paid for by the college. This is subject to satisfactory attendance and course completion.