Health and Social Care Level 3
Start Date: 2nd September 2024
More about the course
The Level 3 Diploma in Health, Social Care and Early Years is ideal for anyone who wishes to enter a health or social care related profession, or progress to higher education in a health or social care related field e.g. nursing, social work, midwifery or a paramedic.
The qualification is available for a BTEC Combination. If you are unsure, we have advice and guidance staff who will be happy to discuss your options.
The combination includes: Health and Social Care BTEC, BTEC National Diploma Level 3 (Major), plus Psychology BTEC (Applied) National Certificate Level 3 (Minor).
- 4 GCSEs at Grade 4-5, including English and Maths
What will I achieve?
If you successfully complete this course, you will receive a Level 3 Diploma or Extended Certificate in Health and Social Care. This is equivalent to three A Levels, Grade A-E.
Students will also receive a Functional Skills in English or Maths, or a GCSE English and Maths if applicable.
What will I learn?
- Human lifespan development
- Working in Health and Social Care
- Meeting individual care and support needs
- Principles of safe practice in Health and Social Care
- Supporting individuals with additional needs
- Nutritional health
- Anatomy and physiology for Health and Social Care
- Enquiries into current research in Health and Social Care
- Work experience in Health and Social Care
- Promoting public health
- Physiological disorders and their care
- Caring for individuals with dementia
- Assessing children's development support needs
What experience will I have?
- Fantastic facilities
- Links with the Royal College of Nursing
- Links with Partner Universities – UCLAN and Edge Hill University
- Industry recognised training and qualifications delivered by expert tutors with experience in the Health Care sector including a Midwife and Social Worker
- Unique work placements in a variety of roles within the medical sector with placements being offered with leading employers including NHS, Virgin Care and West Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
- Access to our Health Careers Recruitment Agency to help you find suitable employment within your chosen profession
- Industry visits appropriate to your chosen career including Ashworth Hospital, Thackray Medical Museum, The Mind, Body & Soul Experience and bespoke taster days at local universities.
- Guest speakers appropriate to your chosen career including Nugent Care, Southport Community Mental Health Team, Virgin Care, BEAT (Eating Disorders), Royal College of Nursing, Addaction Group, Lancashire NHS Team, Local Safeguarding Adult Board for Lancashire, Council for Voluntary Service and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, West Lancashire.
- Workshops and seminars delivered by Health Care Professionals and Professors including Edge Hill University and UCLAN.
- Look and feel like a Health Care professional with our Health Careers Academy Uniform.
- Bespoke University days and support with UCAS personal statements to help secure your chosen University.
How am I assessed?
- Internally set assignments
Where can I progress?
If you successfully complete a Level 3 course, you are eligible to apply for a Health and Social Care Foundation Degree FdA, awarded by University of Central Lancashire available at West Lancashire College.
This is subject to a satisfactory interview, references, Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Clearance and an application through UCAS.
If you are 16-18 years old you do not have to pay course tuition fees*
If you need information on any financial support that may be available to you with fees or study costs on this course, please contact Student Services who can offer advice and assistance on accessing any financial support that may be available.
*Exam and registration fees will be paid for by the college. This is subject to satisfactory attendance and course completion