Studying a BTEC in Business gives you the scope to develop a broader understanding of business organisations and practices, providing subject-specific skills and knowledge about markets, customers, finance, marketing, operations, communication digital and business strategy.
What can I study?
Good to know
Meet our students and tutors
Catherine ShielBusiness Lecturer
I feel privileged to work in a sector that is vital in transforming lives. I always aim to provide a learning experience that goes beyond the classroom with 'real world' experiences that encourage innovation, creativity and thinking to equip learners with the skills for success in an ever-changing world.
I joined West Lancashire College as it was my local college and offered the course I wanted. The course is great and my teachers work continuously hard to help me achieve the results I desire. The Business BTEC has given me many transferable skills and on completion of my course, I hope to go to Edge Hill University to study a Bachelor Honours in Film Studies.
I have been an apprentice for Building Careers UK under West Lancashire College for almost a year and I have found it to be the best path. The work I have completed for the Apprenticeship has allowed me to fully understand my role and other roles within the organisation. The support I have received from West Lancashire College and my tutor has been excellent and really pushed me towards getting the best grade possible, with a high quality of work. I would recommend this path to anyone who is unsure of where they want to go after high school or college.
The Business course has been great for my future career aspirations as it has given me the UCAS points I need to be offered a place at Edge Hill University. My tutors Catherine and Ruth have been so supportive throughout my course and I am looking forward to taking my next step to university with my ultimate goal to become a Film Producer.
This apprenticeship has improved my confidence greatly. I am learning important transferable skills that will help me in my work place now and in the future. Not only has the apprenticeship helped me in my job role, but has also given me the opportunity to learn how other businesses work and take tips from them to better my own work. I feel supported by my tutor Anjuman, as she guides me through this course.
I would just like to say the apprenticeship is fantastic and I am really enjoying my time here at West Lancashire College. I am learning so many new things that have helped me to not only build, but to enhance my skills towards my full time job and in life. The Apprenticeship tutor, Anjuman is so friendly and easy to get on with. She makes me feel very welcome at West Lancashire College.
Ruth WinstanleyBusiness Lecturer
I have had the privilege of working for West Lancashire College since 2004. I am the course leader for the AAT accountancy qualifications in addition to being a lecturer on the Business courses. I run my own accountancy business and hold the position of management accountant working in industry during the rest of my week. My informed knowledge and experience ensure that students receive specialist and up-to-date teaching of finance and business units. My specialisms are accounting, finance, law, and business decision making.
Wendy BennettHead of Curriculum for Health and Service Industries
I am Head of Curriculum for Health and Service Industries, departments include Sport, Art & Design, Beauty, Hair, Public Services, Inclusive Learning, Education, Health, Business, Digital and Access. I am an experienced college manager and have been working in education for 21 years. My background is health, education and care, I'm the college lead for T Levels and an External Quality Assurer. As a manager and leader, I support both colleagues and learners, creating opportunities that support the development of the required knowledge, skills and behaviours to become successful members of our community and our wider society by being prepared to make positive personal and professional contributions.
What can I do with a qualification in Business?
- Assesses and advises on factors affecting business performance.
- Determines staffing levels appropriate for accounting activities.
- Plans external and internal audit programmes, arranges for the collection and analysis of accounting, budgetary and related information, and manages the company.
- Participates in the formulation of strategic and long-term business plans, assesses the implications for the organisation financial mechanisms and oversees their implementation.
Median Salary£57,087 View more
- Conducts investigations and advises management on financial aspects of productivity, stock holding, sales, new products, etc.
- Prepares periodic accounts, budgetary reviews and financial forecasts.
- Liaises with management and other professionals to compile budgets and other costs.
- Evaluates financial information for management purposes.
- Conducts financial investigations concerning insolvency, fraud, possible mergers, etc..
- Prepares tax returns, advises on tax problems and contests disputed claim before tax official.
- Audits accounts and book-keeping records.
- Prepares financial documents and reports for management, shareholders, statutory or other bodies.
- Plans and oversees implementation of accountancy system and policies.
Median Salary£40,015 View more
- Addresses seminars, conferences and the media to present results of research activity or to express professional views.
- Provides economic or statistical advice to governments, commercial enterprises, organisations and other clients in light of research findings.
- Designs and manages surveys and uses statistical techniques in order to analyse and interpret the quantitative data collected.
- Uses appropriate techniques and theoretical principles to determine an appropriate method of data collection and research methodology, analyse and interpret information gained and formulate recommendations on issues such as future trends, improved efficiency.
- Uses a variety of techniques and theoretical principles to establish probability and risk in respect of e.g. life insurance or pensions.
- Assesses the objectives and requirements of the organisation seeking advice.
Median Salary£48,115 View more
- Negotiates and monitors contracted out services provided by the private sector to local government studies and acts upon any legislation that may affect the local authority.
- Registers and maintains records of all births, deaths and marriages in local authority area, issues appropriate certificates and reports any suspicious causes of death to the coroner.
- Co-ordinates and directs the activities of Revenue and Customs offices, Job Centres, Benefits Agency offices and other local offices of national government.
- Advises national and local government on the interpretation and implementation of policy decisions, acts and regulations, and provides technical assistance in the formulation of policy.
- Controls and administers budgets.
- Prepares and reviews operational and financial reports.
- Develops plans, sets objectives and monitors and evaluates performance.
- Recruits and manages staff, assigns and delegates tasks and duties, makes changes in procedures to deal with variations in workload.
- Analyses internal processes and systems, recommends and implements procedural and policy changes.
- Coordinates the organisation.
Median Salary£43,561 View more
- Monitors accounting systems to determine accounts are being maintained effectively and provides information on accounting practices to auditors.
- Ensures invoices and payments are correct and sent out on time.
- Liaises with clients to ensure that payments are made on time and credit limits are not exceeded.
- Produces, collates and reports financial information for managers.
- Maintains profit and loss accounts, budgets, cash flow forecasts and other accounting records.
Median Salary£39,521 View more
- Calculates costs and overheads and prepares analyses for management.
- Compiles schedules and distributes or arranges distribution of wages and salaries.
- Processes holiday, sick and maternity pay and travel and subsistence expenses.
- Calculates and records hours worked, wages due, deductions and voluntary contributions.
- Supervises payroll team and develops payroll systems and procedures.
- Prepares provisional balances and reconciles these with appropriate accounts.
- Records and checks accuracy of daily financial transactions.
Median Salary£22,455 View more
- Coordinates the activities and resources of finance departments.
- Plans work schedules and assigns tasks to financial clerks.
- Prepares or arranges the preparation of financial reports for managers.
- Oversees the recording and checking of daily financial transactions, the preparation of provisional balances and reconciliation of accounts.
Median Salary£23,313 View more
- Implements and maintains HR records systems.
- Provides administrative support for training courses, work placements etc..
- Provides practical support for recruitment and selection procedures such as checking application forms, arranging interviews of candidates and ensuring the interview panel receive all relevant documentation.
- Arranges advertisements for jobs in the relevant media.
- Supports senior HR staff in the development and implementation of HR and industrial relations policies.
Median Salary£20,234 View more
- Carries out general clerical duties.
- Handles customer complaints or forwards them to relevant member of sales team.
- Prepares sales invoices and maintains records and accounts of sales activity.
- Fields telephone enquiries from prospective customers on behalf of the sales team.
- Provides information to customers on products and prices.
Median Salary£21,181 View more
- Plans, organises and co-ordinates the activities and resources of other offices not elsewhere classified including box offices, other ticket offices and accommodation bureaux.
- Ensures that procedures for considering, issuing, amending and endorsing insurance policies are adhered to.
- Advises on the handling of all correspondence and enquiries relating to accounts, sales, statistical and vacancy records.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities.