At West Lancashire, our goal is to unlock the inner entrepreneur within all our business students so if you dream of making money and a fantastic return on investment, this is the course for you.
The business industry of today has changed and with the world being more connected, we can ensure that you will leave the course with a global mindset that will open many doors for you. Business touches everything. No matter the industry, savvy business brains are required to lift a company off the ground and take it to the next level. Once you learn business acumen, you will always be in demand.
Business at West Lancashire College
What can I do with a career in Business?
- Assesses and advises on factors affecting business performance.
- Determines staffing levels appropriate for accounting activities.
- Plans external and internal audit programmes, arranges for the collection and analysis of accounting, budgetary and related information, and manages the company.
- Participates in the formulation of strategic and long-term business plans, assesses the implications for the organisation financial mechanisms and oversees their implementation.
Median Salary£57,087 View more
- Stays abreast of and ensures adherence to relevant legislation regarding tendering and procurement procedures.
- Researches and identifies new products and suppliers.
- Interviews suppliers.
- Arranges for quality checks of incoming goods and ensures suppliers deliver on time.
- Negotiates prices and contracts with suppliers and draws up contract documents.
- Devises purchasing policies, decides on whether orders should be put out to tender and evaluates suppliers.
- Determines what goods, services and equipment need to be sourced.
Median Salary£45,938 View more
- Stays abreast of relevant legislation, considers its impact on the organisation.
- Considers alternative work procedures to improve productivity.
- Examines and reports on company and departmental structures, chains of command, information flows, etc. and evaluates efficiency of existing operations.
- Develops and administers salary, health and safety and promotion policies.
- Undertakes industrial relations negotiations with employees.
- Provides or arranges for provision of training courses.
- Oversees the monitoring of employee performance and career development needs.
- Oversees the preparation of job descriptions, drafts advertisements and interviews candidates.
- Determines staffing needs.
Median Salary£44,202 View more
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms.
- Oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises.
- Ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled.
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently.
- Liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers.
- Appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance.
Median Salary£27,611 View more
- Carries out research into aspects of the natural world.
- Prepares applications for funding to other organisations, and assessing applications for funding from other organisations.
- Promotes conservation issues via educational talks, displays, workshops and literature and liaison with the media.
- Maintains and develops knowledge in relevant policy areas within a national and European legislative context.
- Liaises with other groups in the selection and maintenance of the Protected Site System including Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), Ramsar sites, and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) and National Nature Reserves (NNRs).
- Provides advice and information to government at national and local levels, clients, landowners, planners and developers to facilitate the protection of the natural environment.
- Implements, evaluates and monitors schemes for the management and protection of natural habitats.
- Carries out environmental impact assessments and field surveys.
- Promotes and implements local and national biodiversity action plans, particularly with regard to threatened species and habitats.
Median Salary£30,492 View more
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies.
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner.
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings.
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments.
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance.
- Implements remediation works.
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination.
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment.
Median Salary£35,619 View more
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Median Salary£44,639 View more
- Conducts investigations and advises management on financial aspects of productivity, stock holding, sales, new products, etc.
- Prepares periodic accounts, budgetary reviews and financial forecasts.
- Liaises with management and other professionals to compile budgets and other costs.
- Evaluates financial information for management purposes.
- Conducts financial investigations concerning insolvency, fraud, possible mergers, etc..
- Prepares tax returns, advises on tax problems and contests disputed claim before tax official.
- Audits accounts and book-keeping records.
- Prepares financial documents and reports for management, shareholders, statutory or other bodies.
- Plans and oversees implementation of accountancy system and policies.
Median Salary£40,015 View more
- Runs workshops, and addresses seminars, conferences and the media to present results of research activity or to express professional views.
- Advises governments, commercial enterprises, organisations and other clients in light of research findings.
- Determines the appropriate method of data collection and research methodology, analyses and interprets information gained and formulates and implements recommendations and solutions.
- Identifies problems concerned with business strategy, policy, organisation, procedures, methods and markets.
- Assesses the functions, objectives and requirements of the organisation seeking advice.
Median Salary£43,500 View more
- Reports regularly on progress to the client or to senior managers.
- Ensures that each stage of the project is progressing on time, on budget and to the right quality standards.
- Negotiates with contractors and suppliers for materials and services.
- Selects and leads a project team.
- Draws up a detailed plan for how to achieve each stage of the project.
- Agrees timescales, costs and resources needed.
- Finds out what the client or company wants to achieve.
Median Salary£48,999 View more
Meet our students and tutors
Catherine ShielBusiness Lecturer
I feel privileged to work in a sector that is vital in transforming lives. I always aim to provide a learning experience that goes beyond the classroom with 'real world' experiences that encourage innovation, creativity and thinking to equip learners with the skills for success in an ever-changing world.
I joined West Lancashire College as it was my local college and offered the course I wanted. The course is great and my teachers work continuously hard to help me achieve the results I desire. The Business BTEC has given me many transferable skills and on completion of my course, I hope to go to Edge Hill University to study a Bachelor Honours in Film Studies.
I have been an apprentice for Building Careers UK under West Lancashire College for almost a year and I have found it to be the best path. The work I have completed for the Apprenticeship has allowed me to fully understand my role and other roles within the organisation. The support I have received from West Lancashire College and my tutor has been excellent and really pushed me towards getting the best grade possible, with a high quality of work. I would recommend this path to anyone who is unsure of where they want to go after high school or college.
The Business course has been great for my future career aspirations as it has given me the UCAS points I need to be offered a place at Edge Hill University. My tutors Catherine and Ruth have been so supportive throughout my course and I am looking forward to taking my next step to university with my ultimate goal to become a Film Producer.
This apprenticeship has improved my confidence greatly. I am learning important transferable skills that will help me in my work place now and in the future. Not only has the apprenticeship helped me in my job role, but has also given me the opportunity to learn how other businesses work and take tips from them to better my own work. I feel supported by my tutor Anjuman, as she guides me through this course.
I would just like to say the apprenticeship is fantastic and I am really enjoying my time here at West Lancashire College. I am learning so many new things that have helped me to not only build, but to enhance my skills towards my full time job and in life. The Apprenticeship tutor, Anjuman is so friendly and easy to get on with. She makes me feel very welcome at West Lancashire College.
Ruth WinstanleyBusiness Lecturer
I have had the privilege of working for West Lancashire College since 2004. I am the course leader for the AAT accountancy qualifications in addition to being a lecturer on the Business courses. I run my own accountancy business and hold the position of management accountant working in industry during the rest of my week. My informed knowledge and experience ensure that students receive specialist and up-to-date teaching of finance and business units. My specialisms are accounting, finance, law, and business decision making.
West Lancashire College celebrates National Apprenticeship Week
National Apprenticeship Week is a 7-day celebration of Apprenticeships across the United Kingdom where schools, colleges, employers, career advisers and thousands of students come together online to celebrate Apprenticeships in support of the Government-run National Apprenticeship Week.
West Lancashire College welcomes local employers for Trade Fair
West Lancashire College are welcoming local Hairdressing employers for their Trade Fair on Tuesday 12 March 2024 from 4.3pm-6pm in the college’s Hope Theatre, and entrance is free!
Employ an Apprentice with West Lancashire College
We have Carpentry & Joinery Apprentices waiting to start this January 2024! At West Lancs, our specialist Tutors and Assessors have over 100 years’ experience between them and Apprentices benefit from learning in our hi-tech workshops.