At West Lancashire, our goal is to unlock the inner entrepreneur within all our business students so if you dream of making money and a fantastic return on investment, this is the course for you.
Choosing a career in Business will open an array of doors with the industry that will enable you to express your passion in administration, finance, management, marketing, sales and many more areas.
What can I do with a qualification in Business?
- Assesses and advises on factors affecting business performance.
- Determines staffing levels appropriate for accounting activities.
- Plans external and internal audit programmes, arranges for the collection and analysis of accounting, budgetary and related information, and manages the company.
- Participates in the formulation of strategic and long-term business plans, assesses the implications for the organisation financial mechanisms and oversees their implementation.
Median Salary£57,087 View more
- Stays abreast of and ensures adherence to relevant legislation regarding tendering and procurement procedures.
- Researches and identifies new products and suppliers.
- Interviews suppliers.
- Arranges for quality checks of incoming goods and ensures suppliers deliver on time.
- Negotiates prices and contracts with suppliers and draws up contract documents.
- Devises purchasing policies, decides on whether orders should be put out to tender and evaluates suppliers.
- Determines what goods, services and equipment need to be sourced.
Median Salary£45,938 View more
- Stays abreast of relevant legislation, considers its impact on the organisation.
- Considers alternative work procedures to improve productivity.
- Examines and reports on company and departmental structures, chains of command, information flows, etc. and evaluates efficiency of existing operations.
- Develops and administers salary, health and safety and promotion policies.
- Undertakes industrial relations negotiations with employees.
- Provides or arranges for provision of training courses.
- Oversees the monitoring of employee performance and career development needs.
- Oversees the preparation of job descriptions, drafts advertisements and interviews candidates.
- Determines staffing needs.
Median Salary£44,202 View more
- Examines quality of merchandise and ensures that effective use is made of advertising and display facilities.
- Authorises payment for supplies received and decides on vending price, discount rates and credit terms.
- Oversees the maintenance of financial and other records and controls security arrangements for the premises.
- Ensures customer complaints and queries regarding sales and service are appropriately handled.
- Ensures that adequate reserves of merchandise are held and that stock keeping is carried out efficiently.
- Liaises with other staff to provide information about merchandise, special promotions etc. to customers.
- Appoints staff, assigns tasks and monitors and reviews staff performance.
Median Salary£27,611 View more
- Carries out research into aspects of the natural world.
- Prepares applications for funding to other organisations, and assessing applications for funding from other organisations.
- Promotes conservation issues via educational talks, displays, workshops and literature and liaison with the media.
- Maintains and develops knowledge in relevant policy areas within a national and European legislative context.
- Liaises with other groups in the selection and maintenance of the Protected Site System including Special Areas of Conservation (SACs), Ramsar sites, and Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) and National Nature Reserves (NNRs).
- Provides advice and information to government at national and local levels, clients, landowners, planners and developers to facilitate the protection of the natural environment.
- Implements, evaluates and monitors schemes for the management and protection of natural habitats.
- Carries out environmental impact assessments and field surveys.
- Promotes and implements local and national biodiversity action plans, particularly with regard to threatened species and habitats.
Median Salary£30,492 View more
- Provides professional guidance to clients, government agencies, regulators and other relevant bodies, having regard for sustainable approaches and solutions.
- Implements, reviews and advises on regulatory and legislative standards, guidelines and policies.
- Assists organisations to conduct their activities in an environmentally appropriate manner.
- Communicates scientific and technical information to relevant audiences in an appropriate form, via reports, workshops, educational events, public hearings.
- Carries out environmental audits and environmental impact assessments.
- Carries out environment-related desk-based research and fieldwork to collect, analyse and interpret data to determine their validity, quality and significance.
- Implements remediation works.
- Advises on and provides solutions for mitigating the effects of such contamination.
- Identifies contamination of land, air or water and assesses any adverse impact on the environment.
Median Salary£35,619 View more
- Monitors the standards of scientific and technical research undertaken by the research team.
- Plans work schedules, assigns tasks and delegates responsibilities to the research and development team.
- Develops research methodology, implements and reports upon research investigations undertaken.
- Liaises with production departments to investigate and resolve manufacturing problems.
- Establishes product design and performance objectives in consultation with other business functions.
Median Salary£44,639 View more
- Conducts investigations and advises management on financial aspects of productivity, stock holding, sales, new products, etc.
- Prepares periodic accounts, budgetary reviews and financial forecasts.
- Liaises with management and other professionals to compile budgets and other costs.
- Evaluates financial information for management purposes.
- Conducts financial investigations concerning insolvency, fraud, possible mergers, etc..
- Prepares tax returns, advises on tax problems and contests disputed claim before tax official.
- Audits accounts and book-keeping records.
- Prepares financial documents and reports for management, shareholders, statutory or other bodies.
- Plans and oversees implementation of accountancy system and policies.
Median Salary£40,015 View more
- Runs workshops, and addresses seminars, conferences and the media to present results of research activity or to express professional views.
- Advises governments, commercial enterprises, organisations and other clients in light of research findings.
- Determines the appropriate method of data collection and research methodology, analyses and interprets information gained and formulates and implements recommendations and solutions.
- Identifies problems concerned with business strategy, policy, organisation, procedures, methods and markets.
- Assesses the functions, objectives and requirements of the organisation seeking advice.
Median Salary£43,500 View more
- Reports regularly on progress to the client or to senior managers.
- Ensures that each stage of the project is progressing on time, on budget and to the right quality standards.
- Negotiates with contractors and suppliers for materials and services.
- Selects and leads a project team.
- Draws up a detailed plan for how to achieve each stage of the project.
- Agrees timescales, costs and resources needed.
- Finds out what the client or company wants to achieve.