Health and Social Care First Extended Certificate Level 2
The Level 2 in Health & Social Care is designed to provide opportunities to acquire skills and knowledge which are transferable and will enable individuals to meet changing circumstances, whether these arise from a shift in their own status or employment, or general changes in care practice, provision or environment. It also provides opportunities for learners to gain a nationally recognised vocationally specific qualification to enter employment as a care worker.
This course is ideal for those who wish to gain a recognised qualification in Care and who would like to progress onto a Level 3 course.
Successful students tend to:
- enjoy working closely with people
- be able to relate to people
- understand the needs of others
- be caring and patient and able to stay calm under pressure.
Click HERE to apply for this course.
VenueSkelmersdale Campus, College Way, Skelmersdale, WN8 6LH
Learners will study a range of units throughout the year which will be a combination of both compulsory and optional units, such as:
- Social influences on health and well being
- Promoting health and well being
- The impact of nutrition on health and well being
- Creative and Therapeutic activities in health and social care
- Assessment will be in the form of external assessed examination and internally assessed written assignments
Learners will undertake a period of work experience (a minimum 48 hours per years) appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
• Links with the Royal College of Nursing
• Links with Partner Universities – UCLan and Edge Hill University
• Industry recognised training and qualifications delivered by expert tutors with experience in the Health Care sector including a Midwife and Social Worker
• Unique work placements in a variety of roles within the medical sector with placements being offered with leading employers including NHS, Virgin Care and West Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
• Access to our Health Careers Recruitment Agency to help you find suitable employment within your chosen profession
• Industry visits appropriate to your chosen career including Ashworth Hospital, Thackray Medical Museum, The Mind, Body & Soul Experience and bespoke taster days at local universities.
• Guest speakers appropriate to your chosen career including Nugent Care, Southport Community Mental Health Team, Virgin Care, BEAT (Eating Disorders), Royal College of Nursing, Addaction Group, Lancashire NHS Team, Local Safeguarding Adult Board for Lancashire, Council for Voluntary Service and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, West Lancashire.
• Workshops and seminars delivered by Health Care Professionals and Professors including Edge Hill University and UCLan.
• Look and feel like a Health Care professional with our Health Careers Academy Uniform.
• Bespoke University days and support with UCAS personal statements to help secure your chosen University
• Access to enhancements such as sporting activities, clubs, National Citizenship Service, additional short courses where appropriate eg introduction to counselling and psychology.
• The opportunity to participate in an international project; including an overseas residential to Nepal.
• Progression onto a guaranteed place on degree level course at West Lancashire College.
- 4 GCSEs at Grade A*-D (Grade 3-9) or equivalent at pass level including English and/or Maths
- a satisfactory DBS check.
Learning & Assessment MethodsAssessment will be by continuous assessment of assignment work, projects, case studies and practical activities. Plus 2 external exams.
- Level 2 Diploma or Extended Certificate in Health & Social Care
- Functional Skills in English or Maths or GCSE English and Maths if applicable.
Progression OpportunitiesSuccessful completion of the course may allow progression to the Level 3 Diploma in Health & Social Care if Merits or Distinctions are gained.
This course will help you gain employment in the health and social care area. It provides a basis for further study and will help you develop the skills essential for working in the caring services.
Our Students go to University to study:
- Children’s Nursing at UCLan, Edge Hill University and Cumbria University
- Mental Health Nursing and Social Work combined degree,Edge Hill University
- Psychotherapy and Counselling, UCLan
- Midwifery, Salford University
- Adult Nursing, John Moores University and Edge Hill University
- Occupational Therapy, Salford University and University of Sheffield
- Learning Disability Nursing, Lancaster University
- Social Work Edge Hill University
- Nutrition & Health, Edge Hill University
- Paramedic Science, UCLan.
For more information about potential careers, job opportunities and salaries please visit our Careers Coach https://westlancs.emsicc.com/
If you are 16-18 years old you do not have to pay course tuition fees*.
If you need information on any financial support that may be available to you with fees or study costs on this course, please contact Student Services (see contact details below) who can offer advice and assistance on accessing any financial support that may be available.
*exam and registration fees will be paid by the college subject to satisfactory attendance and course completion.
How To Apply
Please complete and return a college application form. Application forms can be obtained from Student Services – contact details below.
Further Information: If you have a query about this course or would like advice on your study options please contact Student Services:
West Lancashire College, Skelmersdale Campus, College Way, Skelmersdale, WN8 6LH.
By Phone: (01695) 52300
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By Post: Student Services, West Lancashire College, Skelmersdale Campus, College Way, Skelmersdale WN8 6LH.
To apply online via the website, please complete and submit the application form on this page.
To view a printable version of this course leaflet, please click here
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained in this leaflet is correct at the time of printing. We reserve the right however, to make alterations or amendments to the information contained in this leaflet. This course will run subject to sufficient numbers.