Health and Social Care Extended Diploma Level 3 (EDEXCEL)
Course OverviewThis is a two year course to give students a recognised qualification in health and social care providing the knowledge, skills and understanding required for Higher Education, or employment.
The Level 3 Diploma in Health, Social Care & Early Years is ideal for anyone who wishes to enter a health or social care related profession or progress to higher education in a health or social care related field e.g. nursing, social work, midwifery or paramedic.
Successful students tend to:
- enjoy working closely with people
- be able to relate to people
- understand the needs of others
- be caring and patient and able to stay calm under pressure.
Click HERE to apply for this course.
VenueSkelmersdale Campus, College Way, Skelmersdale, WN8 6LH
Students will study units such as:
- Human Lifespan Development
- Working In Health and Social Care
- Meeting individual Care and support needs
- Principles of safe practice in Health and Social care
- Supporting Individuals with Additional Needs
- Nutritional Health
- Anatomy and Physiology for Health and Social Care
- Enquiries into Current Research in Health and Social Care
- Work Experience in Health and Social Care
- Promoting Public Health
- Physiological Disorders and their Care
- Caring for Individuals with Dementia
- Assessing Children’s Development Support Needs
• Fantastic facilities
• Links with the Royal College of Nursing
• Links with Partner Universities – UCLan and Edge Hill University
• Industry recognised training and qualifications delivered by expert tutors with experience in the Health Care sector including a Midwife and Social Worker
• Unique work placements in a variety of roles within the medical sector with placements being offered with leading employers including NHS, Virgin Care and West Lancashire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG)
• Access to our Health Careers Recruitment Agencyto help you find suitable employment within your chosen profession
• Industry visits appropriate to your chosen career including Ashworth Hospital, Thackray Medical Museum, The Mind, Body & Soul Experience and bespoke taster days at local universities.
• Guest speakers appropriate to your chosen career including Nugent Care, Southport Community Mental Health Team, Virgin Care, BEAT (Eating Disorders),Royal College of Nursing, Addaction Group, Lancashire NHS Team, Local Safeguarding Adult Board for Lancashire, Council for Voluntary Service and Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, West Lancashire.
• Workshops and seminars delivered by Health Care Professionals and Professors including Edge Hill University and UCLan.
• Look and feel like a Health Care professional with our Health Careers Academy Uniform.
• Bespoke University days and support with UCAS personal statements to help secure your chosen University.
Learners will undertake a period of work experience (a minimum of 48 hours per year) appropriate to your course as part of the programme of study.
Maths or English will be part of your programme of study if not aleady achieved a Grade C/4.
- 4 GCSEs at Grade A*-C (Grade 4-9) including English and/or Maths
or a First Diploma in a related subject or other appropriate Level 2 qualification. Candidates will be interviewed to assess their suitability for the course and we will be looking for an appropriate standard of English and maths. We are interested in your enthusiasm and commitment to succeed.
You are required to obtain a satisfactory DBS check and two references (one of which needs to be from your school or previous setting).
Learning & Assessment MethodsAll units will be assessed by internally set assignments. Candidates must achieve a minimum of a pass grade in all of the units.
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health & Social Care (equal to 3 A Levels grade A-E).
- English and maths Functional Skills or GCSE'S if applicable.
AVAILABLE AS A BTEC COMBINATION
This Level 3 qualification is available for a BTEC Combination, if you are unsure we have advice and guidance staff who will be happy to talk you through your options.
Health & Social Care BTEC BTEC National Diploma Level 3 (MAJOR) Plus Psychology BTEC (Applied) National Certificate Level 3 (MINOR)
If you successfully complete a Level 3 course you are eligible to apply for:
Health and Social Care Foundation Degree FdA, awarded by University of Central Lancashire available at West Lancashire College subject to satisfactory interview, references, Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Clearance and an application through UCAS.
Please visit www.ucas.com for more information.
Students with a Level 3 Extended Diploma in Health and Social Care have access to a wide range of career opportunities including a Foundation Degree or Higher Level study to become a Nurse, Social Worker, Midwife or Paramedic.
Our Students go to University to study:
- Children’s Nursing at UCLan
- Edge Hill University and Cumbria University
- Mental Health Nursing and Social Work combined degree, Edge Hill University
- Psychotherapy and Counselling, UCLan
- Midwifery, Salford University
- Adult Nursing, John Moores University and Edge HillUniversity
- Occupational Therapy, Salford University and University of Sheffield
- Learning Disability Nursing, Lancaster University
- Social Work Edge Hill University
- Nutrition & Health, Edge Hill University
- Paramedic Science, UCLan
For more information about potential careers, job opportunities and salaries please visit our Careers Coach https://westlancs.emsicc.com/
If you are 16-18 years old you do not have to pay course tuition fees*.
If you need information on any financial support that may be available to you with fees or study costs on this course, please contact Learner Services (see contact details below) who can offer advice and assistance on accessing any financial support that may be available.
*exam and registration fees will be paid by the college subject to satisfactory attendance and course completion.
How To Apply
Please complete and return a college application form. Application forms can be obtained from Learner Services – contact details below.
Further Information: If you have a query about this course or would like advice on your study options please contact Learner Services:
West Lancashire College, Skelmersdale Campus, College Way, Skelmersdale, WN8 6LH.
By Phone: (01695) 52300
By Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By Post: Learner Services, West Lancashire College, Skelmersdale Campus, College Way, Skelmersdale WN8 6LH.
To apply online via the website, please complete and submit the application form on this page.
To view a printable version of this course leaflet, please click here
Every effort has been made to ensure that the information contained in this leaflet is correct at the time of printing. We reserve the right however, to make alterations or amendments to the information contained in this leaflet. This course will run subject to sufficient numbers.